Tuesday, January 20

Dettol, Microbes and Plant Design...


Salam..

Busyness reigns nowadays.. Haha.. So ironic considering that I've started the lab in November and still haven't finished yet compare to some others who are already in the concluding part of their labwork.

Man..

The truth is, I'm tired of the Dettol smell on my hands! Lol.. Well, all things considered, I am glad that bottle of Dettol is in the lab, coz dealing with microbes and all (especially my own experiment - where the microbe is of unknown species or genus), one of the things that made me feel remotely bacteria-free is that yellow-brownish liquid with those sterile smell.

=)

Still, at this time, I am still in the identification stage, that is, trying to identify the bacterias that I have managed to isolate. In total, I have 9 bacterias originally, but after the 'tragic' death of one, I am left with 8 more. Actually, I've done the Gram staining a lot of times already, but some problems arises making me believe that not the techniques that are faulty, but the reagents that I use instead.

And frankly, I don't think that I have the will to gather all the ingredients and make new ones, because of time and also chemical limitations, which I'm sure a lot of us are experiencing. Nevertheless, I'm going to try something new tomorrow, insya-Allah, and hopefully it can shed some light on the Gram status of my microbes.

Right now, with the anaerobic chamber having some gas-related problems, I am searching for alternatives for culturing my bacteria.. Anyone has extra anaerobic jar? Lend it to me, can?

=)

Besides thesis, there are 2 different projects that I have to do this semester; 1st is the Pollution Control project like I've mentioned earlier. Another is our Plant Design Project which contains the most demanding and time-consuming parts:

1. Process and Mechanical Design
2. Control and Instrumentations
( including the P&ID )
3. HAZOP Study ( and the PFD after HAZOP )
4. Wastewater Treatment

5. Plant layout

And that is before including the economic part yet. Hopefully we'll be able to finish as scheduled. For now, I'm off to continue the labwork for today..

Thanks for reading!
=)

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe.. memang busy.. rindu sama kamu. tak sempat jumpa pulak masa cuti ni. ganbatte!! thanx untuk tunjuk ajar masa kat lab.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. gosh!! identification...*faint faint faint*

    hopefully we can get everything done as soon as possible!!

    all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. urmmm.. but i lurve dettol smell tau... no harm rite?? or else..???

    ReplyDelete

Well, what do you think?