Tuesday, March 2

“Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting, that is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow - That is patience.” ~ Anonymous


Salam..

It is already March, and the third month of the year marks my fourth month of being unemployed. Oh well, when I put it that way, it does seems that bad right?

=)

After all, it seems like everyone is moving forward with their careers, some are getting married, and going to various wedding celebrations will of course guarantee a meeting with old friends. And one of the never-missed sure questions is, "Hey, so what are you doing now? You've graduated right?"

Yes, I've been a graduate since August 2009, which is 7 months ago. And since then, I've been working for 3 months and quit when the contract is over, while at the same time applying for various positions at various institutions, going for interviews and dreading the outcome every single time.

I applied for Khazanah Watan Scholarship which, for me, is the toughest yet (compared to Shell Scholarship Award) due to its stringent interviews, exams and such. Shortlisted for the 1st stage (which consist of IQ, personality and aptitude test), got through and went for the second stage (where interviews, Apprentice-like board meetings and tasks were given). Waited anxiously for the result and fortunately enough got through to the third stage (which is the final stage and my turn for the interview done by the senior management executive of Khazanah Nasional is interestingly enough done at 7.30 pm).

Went for interview at Universiti Malaya (where the only other candidate is a UK graduate with a sweet smile). Got an email from UiTM inviting me for interview which is complete with a mock teaching session and I chose a field which while I'm sure is becoming pretty important, is quite too specialized compared to conventional chemical engineering subjects.

Both now resides in the same category; my name is submitted and is waiting for the Registrar's approval. And subconsciously I think the current economic condition is preventing the University(s) from hiring but I'm still hoping for the best..... And just a few days ago an email informing me of the outcome of Watan Scholarship finally arrives. Therefore I will be going for the briefing session which hopefully will give me some insight into the deal.

Had also went to some other interviews where one stands out due to the fact that I did not realize I'm being interviewed (and make quite a fool of myself by trying to lighten the mood up and failed miserably) as opposed to just chit-chatting about the topics involved. Being given an ultimatum by another possible-interviewer to come for the interview conducted on the same day with another interview (which I've already committed myself to) and eventually I had to let it go as it would be unethical for me to break my word.

Sometimes it's funny thinking back on all that has happened. But then, money is also a very big issue. The truth is, although I had my own savings, it's never been my habit to spend it because I know how hard it is when you live without a fall-back plan. Therefore, after buying a new laptop to replace my faulty Dell lappie (whose motherboard is toasted), I kinda felt some regrets because after repairing, the Dell machine is working just fine with a motherboard replacement (which costs me almost half 1k) and I hardly use the new one.. *sob* So now, I'm totally broke (and while I think it's an accomplishment to live on my last pay for 4 months when you factor in the fuel, maintenance and food its hardly a good thing walking around with barely RM100 in your bank).. Therefore, I'm thinking of looking for some temporary jobs such as being a RA for 2 or 3 months maybe? So, anyone got any info on this? Lol..

Will update later. Had to find some inspiration to write again. This post is just to let people know I'm alive, and no, I'm not becoming a recluse or something. Honestly I think that FB is being an unsurprising addiction and I think my pets are getting hungry; better go to Pet Society to feed 'em..

Lol.. =p

Adios~

19 comments:

  1. wow! so many things happened!!!
    glad u share...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe.. Yup, glad to share.. Neway, kamal, dun forget to update k.. Hehe.. Am looking forward to reading about your crazy adventures in working land.. Lol..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello there its nice ure sharing ur experience on those intrviews. could u elobarate more on the khazanah watan second n third stage process? it will such a pleasure if u can share that.thx :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, me too.. I will be attending the second stage applying for phd program this wednesday. How the process goes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. mza & sitikucing --> i would like to post a detailed one on that, but since you guys are probably going to the 2nd stage this week, i better give you some overview on it.

    Well, my advice is to keep an open mind. The thing with Khazanah is that, they very rarely do the same things twice. Therefore, even though I have gone through one set of processes, the route you guys will take would probably be different.

    Nevertheless, let me just share what I did on the second stage. It is a full day event; morning till about 6 in the evening. The first half of the day, you'll be exposed to a range of activities which ties with a different variety of leadership qualities. There will be teams, and each of the group and its members will be accessed during the day.

    Expect some Apprentice-like activities; you might have to go out and approach people. Be time-efficient, and work in a group. Make sure to express your opinions and just have fun! =)

    In my process, there was also individual interview. I'm not sure for undergrads, but for postgrads you will have to elaborate on your proposed research. Do some homework, and try to link your research to the industry, in particular the companies that are under Khazanah Nasional. Don't be afraid to express yourself, and be confident.

    Good luck, and do have fun!! =)

    ps : If you guys made it, you might as well be in my batch.. Heehee.. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. tqvm rina..yes the interview is tomorrow n i cant expect a thing from them.who wouldnt be nervous, its the most pretigious scholarship afterall.

    sitkucing - all the luck in the world for tomorrow! guess i'll meet u ayye!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mza --> you r welcome.. =) Good luck eyh.. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey rina its mza!

    anyhow alhamdulillah ive been shortlisted for the khazanah scholar final stage :) any tips during the intrvw with the senior management? there'll be no other group task in this one ryte?

    ReplyDelete
  10. mza --> Really?? Wow, congratulations!! =) When is the final stage interview? Well, actually for me, the third stage is quite okay. Basically they will ask you to elaborate more on your research. As I said before, try to link your research to the industry, especially the benefits that can be offered. Relax, and be confident. All the best okay.. =) Do keep in touch yea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. helo rina!

    mine the intrvw is tomorrw. yeah wish me luck n hopefully i can get thru this n get to be one of the successfull candidate.actually ive so many question to ask regarding the watan program but yeah will bother u some other time :P
    till then takecare !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi again mza.. =) If you don't mind, what is your name actually?? Lol.. Oh well, best of luck yea.. About the questions, ask away.. Haha.. I will answer is I can.. ;-)

    GOOD LUCK!!
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hello rina! sorry for the long silence somehow i think i shudve thank u bcz i managed to land the khazanah scholar :)
    ive been to the corporate warrior n THAT WAS SO MUCH FUN !!! *and pretty much painful too :P* there was one watan student from ur batch i think. she joined us cz at that time she was pregnant n unable to join ur batch of cw.

    thats all for now. i think we the watans will meet and gathered by yk one day ( yk will organise some annual dinner and gather up all their scholar isnt it?)

    btw my name is Mimi :) its always been nice knowing u :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. mza --> hi mimi!! hehe.. its nice to finally know your name.. =) anyway, congratulations on landing the scholarship!! did you guys play paintball also on CW? that was FUN right?!

    anyway, if I'm not mistaken, mr Ijlal said that you guys are also part of my batch - the 2nd batch of postgrads.. I do think that we'll meet up soon enough. hehe..

    do you have FB account? you can add me if you want.. hehe.. its nice to expand our network after all.. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. hahah we do play the paintball! we got hit badly by the bandits from all direction! one of my bruises on my left arm is soooooo big that made everdybody in the camp talking about how big it is.they even took pictures hahahaha!

    yeah i do hv fb but my fb is super-private,u cant find my profile using my name or mail hehe *no,im not an antisocial!* so i think i'll add u ok :)

    the global a-level scholars told me ystrday there will be an dinner buffet with mr.azman for the yk scholars , i hope all of us will be thre!its always been exciting to meet all of the scholar from other bckground.

    p/s: nice new bckdrop u hv here! n dont forget to give me ur email :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. mza --> so sorry for the late reply.. i didn't realize that you had already commented.. lol..

    anyway, you can add me using my email : reita_homoeshi@yahoo.com

    Weird username right? haha.. oh well, looking forward to finally meeting you.. perhaps we'll meet during the programmes by khazanah..

    add me okay! =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. haha its fine :)
    btw ive tried searching ur fb using ur email, but it cant seem to find any result!hahahaha! oh my how la how how :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha.. really? i didn't think i hide my email though.. lol..

    did you try to copy&paste my email? =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. haha i did! din knw whts wrong :(

    ReplyDelete

Well, what do you think?